Two Historic Landmarks Named in Joliet
The City of Joliet added two new local historic landmarks to its of roster buildings with historic designations.
600 North Broadway Street is a circa 1872, two-story, Italianate style house. The cross-gable roof line, arch topped windows with heavy stone hoods and tall, narrow, paneled entry door with a single-light transom reflect the Italianate style. The walls are limestone under stucco (which has been painted white for several decades). This house was built by Simon Hausser for his family. Hausser was a stone mason and operated a quarry just south of his house. Hausser was also one of the City’s leading German residents at that time. He was one of the first building contractors and supervised the construction of St. John’s Church, Old St. Joseph’s Hospital (demolished), the county jail as well as numerous other stone houses in this German area of Joliet. Hausser sat on several prominent Joliet commissions as well as served as Third Ward alderman. He was also instrumental in establishing St. John’s (German) Catholic Church.
512 McDonough Street is a well-preserved, circa 1889, clapboard-sided, gable-front-and-wing house with elements of the Queen Anne style. The corner property is located in the earlier settlement area of the St. Pat’s Neighborhood, and this house was the first to be built on this block according to city directories and available maps. Charles L. Young is the first documented resident of the home. Mr. Young worked for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad.
For more information on historic landmarks in Joliet, please contact Jayne M. Bernhard, Staff to the Joliet Historic Preservation Commission by phone: (815) 724-4052 or email: [email protected]
City of Joliet Press Release